Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Outlet

I had the privilege of going to City Gospel Mission a couple of Saturdays ago with 4 other people from Dayspring and a friend. We went there to participate in The Outlet. (See desciption of The Outlet below.)


This was planned as a youth event, but as it turned out none of the students came. I started thinking about why we had no students. Some of the reasons that I came up with are the obvious ones: busy schedules and other commitments, no interest in this particular ministry, their friends weren't going, and FEAR. I think for many students (and adults) that FEAR is a big issue....FEAR of an unknown situation, FEAR that we won't know what to say, Fear that we will say the wrong thing, etc. I experienced this myself as I went on that day.

When we arrived, they gave us an orientation and ask for a couple of people to work in the cafe' serving the coffee. I wanted this job because I would have something to do that I knew how to do. It wasn't as threatening. I wasn't chosen for the cafe' so my task was to just intermingle with those people that had come. I walked into the room and felt fear. Here was a roomful of people I didn't know, most of them men. How in the world would I go up and talk to them. How would I start a conversation? What would I talk about.....I couldn't talk to them about the usual things you might talk about when you meet someone...things like where do you live? where do you work? (many of them were unemployed & homeless). I sat down by one person. He looked at me and just closed his eyes, obviously not wanting to talk. I didn't know what to do. I began praying. I knew that God was going to have to show me what to do, give me the needed words, and help me with this fear.

I decided to watch what Erin did as she was more experienced in this because of her time in Youth With a Mission. (There is something really cool about learning something from your daughter.) I leaned on her a little to help me get started. We began playing a game of Phase 10 with two of the people and some other teenage volunteers from another church. What fun! And suddenly, my fear was gone. We were finding things to talk about. We were interacting.


After that, I decided that I should try on my own so I went to different tables and began conversations. I sat down with a group of people and talked with them for quite a while. Many ask when we were coming back. They genuinely seemed to really want us to come back. And I want to come back. I believe the real key is to build relationships and that makes me want to go more than one time.

One couple there drew a picture and gave it to one of our volunteers. They wrote on it "God has blessed us with even the smallest things!" and told her that this was a blessing to have them come serve them coffee. Even a smile or kind word, although a small thing, can be a blessing. Many of the people there said that coming to the Outlet was the highlight of their week.

So I challenge you...overcome fears whether for this outreach or another one. I encourage you to go with us to the Outlet or even go on your own. You just need to go ready to hang out, play board games or cards, Foosball, ping pong, pool or work at the art table or cafe'. You will receive a blessing as well as be a blessing.

Hundreds of homeless people are currently living in downtown Cincinnati with little or no available daily activities. They need a comfortable place where they do not have to worry about violence or drug abuse and can build healthy friendships with positive, caring adults. The Outlet offers a solution.

The Outlet is a safe, fun place of recreation for homeless men and women in Cincinnati. Every Saturday morning we host games, activites, a coffee shop and promote positive longterm relationships for over 100 guests. Often, local musicians provide entertainment during the Outlet and volunteers create art with the guests. We celebrate life and the positive steps our guests are taking that lead to life change.


The Outlet happens every Saturday morning and on the 1st Sunday of each month in the afternoon.



 


No comments:

Post a Comment